We're Okay...

Oh, thanks Purpleheaven , Leny and Sahee....you're such caring friends. We're all right....not too close to the epicentrum, where they felt and got the worse of it....buildings go down and people hurt. Even in Jakarta it was terrible cos of the skyscrapers !! People had to go down by stairs ...many descent stories and stories ...imagine the pregnant ladies, children, old people and the disabled. Most of the injured in Jakarta and other cities were because of the shock and the scramble to safety....people got trampled on.

At the first Quake I was doing laundry and scrubbing the bathrooms [ I know...very un-glamorous, but it had to be done] I was walking around and didn't feel it...then chub jumped up and ran to the side door following his grandma and our maid, Epi. Turned out they panicked and went out the wrong door...should be the front door...which led to our rather wide garden. The side door led to a terrace with some trees and a tall antenna tower in front of it, that were ...not shaking... but swaying dangerously above us !! ..they could fall on us..Oh ...grandma was feeling weak and dizzy....and she held on to the terrace post...and almost fell...the post was swaying .

The whole house was swaying. I shouted for us to go to the front door....the dogs were barking like crazy....we went into the shaking and swaying house again...where melchan and chub collided and bumped their head with each other in their scramble to find their sandals...they were walking bare footed. Epi panicked and ran around ...grandma didn't... she went to the front door....I got the door keys...but my hand froze [ I was looking at the hanging lamp swaying and swinging crazily above us, and couldn't move ] I gave the keys to Epi who suddenly appeared again ...we got the door open then burst out side !!

Oh...my mom's rows and rows of hanging flower pots were swaying wildly...luckily moving the same direction so they didn't break. The neighbors were out side....the next door neighbor said her flower pots fell and shattered, the ones with orchids in them. Oh we were looking at strange things....as everything was moving.

The earh quake lasted several minutes...I'm not sure how long...and after that there was another one registered 5.1 RS. But only our hanging lamps were swaying the second time, and we were already in the house again. My...that was crazy !! I learned a lesson today...what with all of us panicking and going the wrong directions. Because the eartquake was BIG, and lasted several minutes.....we lost precious time getting out of the house. What if it was a HUGE one? ....Well, from now on we will hold Disaster Drills in this family...in this house.... just like I used to get through in my schools. I don't want the same thing happening again.

The children's grandma had planned to go shopping...but decided not to go...she felt weak all over and had to lay down, in fact...all of us were feeling very weak and shaky because of the shock. Sorry to ramble on and on...but maybe you'll get some positive things reading our experience. It does sound a bit funny ...but actually dangerous if the situation was worse. Thanks for reading :)

Comments

jaime said…
Dear myoce,

It;s a relief to know that you and your loved ones are fine. It must have been scary and frantic from your account. Yes, Japan is holding earthquake drill throughout the country this week. I hope we will never have to use it. Pray there is no further damage, Please take care!

love .... jaime
myoce said…
Thank you so much, Jaime !
Yes, I was frantic.... more for the children and my mom than myself.
I hope you never have to use the drill also, but it's important to know.

Love and prayers,
myoce
Anonymous said…
I was glad when Jade told me you and yours were okay, and your house was flexible enough to sway, at least in this shake's particular direction.
May your drills become regular fun.
Thank you for the invitation to tea!

SilverBronze
myoce said…
Dear SilverBronze,

Thank you for your concern !
Yes, I didn't know my house could sway, as it wasn't built quake-proof.

About the drills...lets hope it's regular at least ! ha ha ha...

About the tea...too bad it's a virtual- imaginary one ^^

Love to you and Jade,
from a puffy dragon

Popular Posts