Bae Yong Joon-Brokore Magazine, Past Interview


Later in September 2009, Bae Yong Joon is scheduled to visit Japan to promote The Winter Sonata Animation and his book, 'I love Korea' [tentative title] . I remember an interesting interview of BYJ after he went to Osaka for the TWSSG Premiun Event . Even though I read it first in bb's blog, and it has been shared in many BYJ blog and sites....I'd like to share this interview again with you, my fellow baefans. Thank you to bb and cloudnine !! muaaacks....


Original in Japanese: Brokore 2008.06
Translated into English: cloudnine / bb's blog

Interview with Brokore Magazine

In the course of the drama TWSSG promotion, actor BYJ is now visiting Japan and the interview with him took plaace in the afternoon of 5th in Tokyo. Having finished the Premium Event in Osaka, he moved to Tokyo and his schedule has everything worked out down to the minute and the interview was tensed enough to understand that it was the first official visit of him in two years and nine months.

Before the interview,we were asked by the staff to strictly keep to the time alotted and to ask only about TWSSG. However, BYJ being so sincere in listening to the questions while taking notes and in answering earnestly after thinking for a minute, interview ended an hour later than scheduled. The interview with BYJ, who is coherently sincere and with a great sense of humor.

Kindly and in details, he shared some episodes of shooting TWSSG , his impression about meeting his Asian family, he also shared frank comments about his own family, his parents, and even future plans.



Q: Damdeok in TWSSG is portrayed as a character with both sides, cold and warm. Actually BYJ seems to share some part with Damdeok. What do you think you have in common?

BYJ: The great similarity between Damdeok and me is both have 'strong sense of responsibility', I think. It may not be appropriate to compare, because Damdeok is a real historic person and at the same time such a great man. I don't live, like Damdeok, with great and deep thoughts for the nation, race, and general public.(laughs)
Playing the role of Damdeok, however, might have led me to think greater and more deeply than before. Through the course of getting to know Damdeok, I think I’ve grown big as a human.


Q: Like Damdeok went through in the drama, what was the turning point in your career?

BYJ: I live with the idea that every single moment is my turning point of life. (laughs)
Actually it’s 14 years since I made my debut, but every time I appear in new work I face it as a newcomer... When I was shooting the drama Have We Really Loved?’ back in 1999, I experienced what you would call ‘a turning point in your career’. Till then every drama I appeared had a very good viewing rate, however this drama didn’t somehow. I was impatient and could not afford a space to take it easy.

One day, when I was shooting outside in the suburb of Seoul, I tried to escape from the children fans who were running toward me. I was tired and I disliked meeting people as I was worrying over the law rating. Then the children, reading my mind, stopped running. That was a moment I was really ashamed, but at the same time I realized that as an actor doing one’s best at each moment is far important than the audience rating. So I went up to the children and while autographing and taking pictures, I knew afresh that fans were much more precious than rating. I feel what I realized at that time is motive power, (is the motivation) to support me as an actor.


Q: What is your impression of meeting ‘Asian family’ at the event in Osaka?

BYJ: Once again, I was able to feel that we, my family and me, can fully sympathize and understand one another just by looking at each other without words. While moving around with a stage car, I was able to see my family, who had long been waiting for me, so up close ever. It was a very comfortable feeling, so while on board I was driven by the desire that I wanted to stay there, seeing my family and feeling their eyes for a long time. Next time it maybe a good idea to see my family closer boarding a small vehicle (laughs). I hear that my family felt the same way. I felt we were one.

Photo credits : Thank you to arayo, miemi and LL !!

Comments

Popular Posts