BYJ - Waves of Humanism




Dearest Gaulsan, Thank you so much for this translation , you're an angel !

Part 1: The First Wave of Korea Speaks of Asian Wave 

Source: Maeil Economy Star Today, Reporter Cho Eun Yong
Translated into English : gaulsan
* This article contains most part of the interview BYJ had with Korean press after completing both events. Some part are introduced in other articles, and some are not.

He looked tired. He has been working so hard for a long time. Sepsis caused his body temperature to go up as high as 40'C , but he couldn't rest properly due to the events planned ahead. While leaning on medicines he was taking, he flew to Japan and finished two large events that was held on September 29th and 30th. On 30th, He had a meeting with Mrs. Miyuki, the wife of Japanese Prime Minister and discussed on cultural exchange. Now the name BYJ came to means more than an actor who played the leading role in WLS. It is natural that every step he leads has huge impact on cultural industry and the way Japanese understand Korea. Is it because of such position? BYJ was prudent enough to ask reporters to use the term "Asian wave" instead of "Korean wave". However, once the dialogue came to his personal life, he often joked and led the interview in a pleasure manner.

Q : Now you've finished two major events. What do you feel by meeting your fans after one year?

A : As a matter of fact, I always think that I am not a talented person. I was able to do my best to accomplish things because my Family gave me that energy to do so. (BYJ always calls his fans Family.) If it were not for the energy they gave me, I wouldn't have been able to write a book, nor planned this event. I am always thankful for them.

Q : You've been admitted to a hospital due to sepsis. You still look very tired. Don't you think you strain yourself too much? It often seems that you put too much energy in your projects.

A : That's because I am not smart enough. I just have to do my very best(smile). Frankly speaking, I've worried that I might not be able to finish these events. My body temperature went up to 40'C for two days, and the [BOF] staffs worried that I might not be allowed to enter Japan. Luckily, the diagnosis was not the swine-flu but mild sepsis. While staying in bed, I've thought a lot. I had time to look back upon myself, and to contemplate on what made me stand here in this position? I have not recovered, yet. I still have fever. I am taking medicine, and my face got swollen because of that. (laugh)

Q : Your writing is quite different from your essays that you've wrote in your early days as an actor. Some informations were very professional. What was the most difficult part in preparing this pook?

A : If I count from studying and collecting data, it took one and a half year.
I've read over 150 books on various subjects. Sometimes the data from one source was incompatible with that from another source. I've asked those part to the masters, and I trusted their answers without any doubt.
On the other hand, writing was a hard nut to crack. I didn't know that expressing my feeling and thoughts would be so difficult. I barely slept for three months, and I was under huge stress to meet the deadline.
As you may know, when one stays up all night, one might feel sick, feel like throwing up. Sometimes, I've sent messages to staffs, "I'm going to sleep now. I feel like throwing up" or "Yuck." (laugh) Because I failed to meet the deadline, the editors had only three days to proofread and correct mistakes. So there are several mis-spellings left in my book. (smile)

Q : It was interesting to see your personal life, such as your eating up the oysters that was prepared for making Gimchi.

A : As you know, I am not a professional writer. I couldn't write this book without exposing myself.

Q : Do you have any plan to publish English version or another series?

A : First, I don't have plan to write another series. I am considering of making English version and braille book. The braille book will be donated. I feel awful that the braille book cannot show the photos.

Q : Do you have any plan to make carrier in writing?

A : I've once thought of writing a short novel. If I find good writings, I use to write it down or collect it. But now I don't know. As I am so exhausted after writing this book, I came to think that if I do make another book, there will be less words and more photos in it.
One thing I regret in this book is about the photos. As I started writing after I've collected materials, some of the photos didn't match the feeling of the words I wrote. I needed new photos that match the words, but I couldn't go back to take photos again because I was short of time. So the photos were not as diverse as I've planned.

Q : I've heard that you've took over 5,000 photos for this essay. Was that still not enough? (laugh) Anyway, I can feel your affection and ambition toward photography.

A : I took a lot of photos, but I didn't actually count them. (laugh) The photographers I've met often told me that I own more cameras than professional photographers. So I think I do have affection toward photography. On the other hand, I always think that technique is not the most difficult part. It is the 'sensibility' that matters.
I take picture with cameras, but it is my heart that makes me press the shutter. I take pictures to hold that specific moment, the moment that my heart permits. Thats why I feel training my own sensibility is important. Maybe that's why I prefer film camera over digital camera. When I use a digital camera, I tend to press the shutter easily, thinking 'there must be at least one good shot.' I don't like to take photos like that. (smile)

Q : Personally, what did you gain from writing this book?

A : As a matter of fact, since I've started my career as an actor, I don't remember when I've gone on a journey. Thinking back, what did I do in 2002? Winter sonata. In 1999? 'Have we really loved'. My work was occupying my life. While writing this book, I went on a real journey. I've seen, learnt, and felt a lot. I came to meet so many nice people, and my mind has opened up. Personally, I've made lots of good hobbies.
I was planning to go to Chooncheon by myself to take photos of beautiful autumn scenery, but I couldn't go because I was sick. I've never planned to go on a trip alone before.

Q : You became the Ambassador of 'Visit Korea Year' and you are praised by so many government staffs, and the same with the masters who helped you on writing your book.

A : I think everything has its own time. I was proposed to be an Ambassador while I was writing this book. I thought that now I could properly do that mission and accepted it. I think the most important thing in meeting people is 'trust', isn't it? I try not to miss that point. There are several staffs of BOF in this pIace and we know each other very well. We had this relationship for a long time, sometimes over 10 years. I am thankful that I have many people around me whom I can trust. It is the same with the masters. I didn't press upon them to learn from them. The karma led us step by step like a chain.
How I've met Mr. Jeon Yong Bok is an example. I was searching for information about lacquer painting, but it was hard to find such information, and even if I found some, they were difficult like theses. Going to bed, I thought it might be difficult to find proper information. In the next morning, there was a news covering Mr. Jeon Yong Bok on the newspaper. The karma works in such a mysterious way.(laugh)

Q : What person are you to the staffs who've worked over 10 years at BOF?

A : If I think it is needed, I tell them what I want straightforwardly. If they make a mistake, I tell them right away. If they make the same mistake again, I often scold them. They might be afraid of me, but I think they trust me as well. (smile)

Q : I've heard that you gave your books to people around you. I've heard that Choi Jee Woo carries that book all the time.

A : Jee Woo told me that the book was interesting. I recently met her and it was such a long while since I've met her before. She is still a very kind person.

Q : Do you meet your friends often?

A : I like to talk with people. Usually, I invite them to my home. We have tea together and talk about culture, acting, politics and so on.

Q : It seems that you are imposing a kind of duty on yourself as the ambassador of Korean culture.

A : I think something is leading me to that mission. Sometimes, my Family leads me. When I visited Japan for the first time, a Korean living in Japan held my hands, crying, told me that she was thankful for me. At that moment, I realized that there were something that I could do for both countries.

Q : You've met Mrs. Hatoyama Miyuki, wife of Japanese prime minister, who is interested in Korean culture. What did you talk about?

A : As Mrs Miyuki was interested in Korean culture, we've talked about the cultural exchange between Korea and Japan. She spoke some Korean during the conversation. I was startled by her proficiency in Korean.

Q : Some say that there will be no Post-BYJ. I had an impression that you have a unparalleled stature in Hallyu.

A : I think the public opinion can change by how the mass media report. For example, I've asked you repeatedly not to use the word "Hallyu". Once the term is used in Korean media, reporters of other countries will use it, too. Such one-sided term can hinder the free exchange of culture between countries. That's why I've asked you to use the term 'Asian flow' instead of Hallyu. However, I've found it's not easy to make a change.

Q : In Japan, BYJ became more than an actor who played the leading role in WLS. Many Japanese see Korea through the new scope named BYJ. It might put weight on everything you do. You might feel stressed.

A : I would take it in another way. I've mentioned about my desire to become a farmer at the press meeting for "the Beauty of Korea'. What did you feel when you heard my word?

Q : Are you really planning to make a farm?

A : That was the first time that I've spoke to the press of my dream, but it was not an instant idea. I've started to think about it 5 years ago. I've often told about it to people close to me. I don't have a concrete idea, but I am reading books and studying on it. If there is a thing I want to do, I tend to tell it to people around me, and eventually turn it into reality.



Part 2: Speaking of BYJ as a human being

http://news.mk.co.kr/outside/view.php?year=2009&no=516298

Source: Maeil Economy Star Today, Reporter Cho Eun Yong
Translated into English : gaulsan

* This article contains most part of the interview BYJ had with Korean press after completing both events. Some part are introduced in other articles, and some are not.
----------------

He looked tired. He has been working so hard for a long time. Sepsis caused his body temperature to go up as high as 40'C , but he couldn't rest properly due to the events planned ahead. While leaning on medicines he was taking, he flew to Japan and finished two large events that was held on September 29th and 30th. On 30th, He had a meeting with Mrs. Miyuki, the wife of Japanese Prime Minister and discussed on cultural exchange. Now the name BYJ came to means more than an actor who played the leading role in WLS. It is natural that every step he leads has huge impact on cultural industry and the way Japanese understand Korea. Is it because of such position? BYJ was prudent enough to ask reporters to use the term "Asian wave" instead of "Korean wave". However, once the dialogue came to his personal life, he often joked and led the interview in a pleasure manner.

Q : How did you feel when you started WLS again after 7 years?

A : I hesitated a lot when I heard that they were making an animation of WLS. I am sorry to say that at first I was not interested in doing the same work again. However, once I started to read the script at home, I suddenly felt that 'I want to fall in love'. As the drama shook my emotion in such a short time, I came to admit that WLS was a good drama, and I felt my desire to express the emotion once more. So I replied that I will do the voice. Of course I have changed during the past 7 years, but I thought I could go back to that moment, and I am trying to do so when I work on this project.

Q : What has changed after you became a Hallyu star since 2002? 

A : As I've lived this way since I made my debut, there was not much change. There is one thing that did change, though. When I go out of my house, the travel agencies bring people to the pIaces where I go. Of course I don't go to inappropriate pIaces from the start, but I often feel sorry that my freedom is restricted.

Q : It is very hard to behave well as a public figure in Korea. Did you ever experience the clash between BYJ that people expect and BYJ as you desire? 

A : I think that's a task that I should carry on for the rest of my life.
I also think that the pIace where you stand is up to how much you find yourself, and how much you train yourself.

Q : Some people say that there is a discrepancy between your popularity in Korea and Japan. How do you think about that?

A : I have big Family in Korea. People might think like you because Korean Family had less chance to unite in one pIace. In fact, I shed tears in the event on 30th because of Korean Famly. I felt painful when I thought that I've done nothing for them, and they still came here in Japan to support me. During the event of both days, there were many moments that I nearly cried but I managed to hold back my tears, but I couldn't hold it any more when I saw their eyes.

Q : It was interesting to see you speak Japanese and write a postcard in Japanese. 

A : In fact, I wanted to talk more in Japanese. However, after suffering with fever, I couldn't do as I've wanted because my memory seemed to be wiped out. I am constantly studying Japanese and English.-- It doesn't mean that I am planning to go to Hollywood, or I want to become a certain type of actor. I am just doing my best.

Q : In the event for Animation WLS, you made an interesting response when Lee Yong Yu, who played the role of a child called you 'uncle'. Are you actually sensitive to that name? (laugh)

A : Really, I don't care of such name. Yong Yu is now 12 and it is natural for her to call me uncle. I made such response to make the audience happy. You reporters liked it and wrote about it, too, didn't you? (laugh) Anyway, I am not afraid of getting old. On the contrary, I have wanted to get older since I was in my twenties. I wanted to see my future. That age is a hard period to everyone, isn't it? Going through all that, now I can see what I couldn't see before, and I can think in the way I couldn't. I am happy that I am getting better little by little.

Q : You bought Digital Adventure, a Japanese corporation. Why? 

A : That's the decision of the company, not mine. I once was interested in business, but now I am really not interested in it. I've concluded that business is not my way because I can't afford the constraints that it brings me. There are many things that I want to do instead. I don't know how long I will stay as an actor. After that, I would like to become a farmer, then a photographer, and then a ceramic artist.

Q : The information about BYJ as a natural human being is very limited. Can you tell us about your everyday life?

A : I don't attempt to be a mystical being. It is the reporters who gave me such image, not me. Basically, I was very shy since I was a little boy, and usually stayed at home reading books. I still stay at home if I don't have works to do outside. I wake up at 7-8 o'clock in the morning. If I stayed up late last night, I wake up at 10-11 o'clock. Then I drink a cup of tea and exercise for about an hour. After taking a shower, I read books or do other things. As I've bought lots of wine after I've become interested in winery, there are many wine boxes in my house. I piled them up and made a bookshelf. I wanted to put the photo of that bookshelf in my book, but I was short of time. Behind that bookshelf, there is a workpIace for lacquer painting and a spin for ceramic art. I practice both arts there.

Q : People think that BYJ has everything. What do you think you are lacking?

A : What I need is a wife, what I lack is my freedom. (laugh) As I've wrote in my book, I think one might learn much in order to discard much when you go through the Moo Moon Kwan*. One day, when I was contemplating on this subject at home, I felt that the furnitures are the owner of the space, not me. That moment I thought, 'someday I should get rid of these things. I should reduce my possessions.' The time might come earlier than I expect. We don't become happier by having more, do we? I think we can stay happier when we live in a more simple way... when we feel something is missing. Nowadays, I am exercising on discarding things. (laugh)  

[* In p. 366 of 'the beauty of Korea', YJ wrote.
I once planned that if I build a Korean traditional house, I would go in there with lots of books, lock the door up, and study there for a long time. However, the surprising thing is, the Moo Moon Kwan requires one to go in without anything. No books, no belongings, just your body. I was disappointed. What shall I do without my books? I felt that I have a long way to go to reach that level. I have to learn more to discard myself.]

Moo Moon Kwan, 무문관, 無門關
It is a book written in Song Dynasty(China) by a monk named Jong So(종소, 宗紹), who recorded the preaches of his master Moo Moon Hye Gae (무문혜개,無門嵆開). The full name of this book is SeonJong Moo Moon Kwan 선종무문관(禪宗無門關)
It contains 48 major themes that is important in Zen buddhism.
The meaning of '無(none)' does not mean the opposite of '有(being, existence)'. The '無' means the absolute level of recognition that one could reach... one does not even discriminate '無‘ and '有’ if he/ she reach there. The major theme of this book is the pursuance of that '無‘. In many cased, 무문관 also means studying hard in a temple to reach this level.]

Q : I think it's time to talk about your marriage. When do you think you will get married?

A : Once I spoke I might get married within three years. My grandmother has mistaken it as three months and asked me 3 months later 'why aren't you getting married?' Now there is only one year left. I ask people around me to help me get married and I try to make a chance, but it is hard to meet somebody because of my circumstance. Anyway, I have to get married, no, I feel I need to get married and I think it would be nice to get married, but who might volunteer to be a wife of a farmer? (laugh)

Q : I've heard that Mrs Lee Hyo Jae is going to introduce you a good bride.(laugh) 

A : I've learned how to do household work from Mrs. LHJ. I've thought that my future wife will like me if I learn such things, but people tell me the opposite way. They tease me that it would make me more difficult to get married. Who would marry a man who learned of keeping house from Lee Hyo Jae? That would make my wife even more tired. (laugh)

Q : Doesn't the staffs of BOF advice you about marriage? 

A : Even though I am not married yet, I often advice them about married life. (laugh) I tell them that once a man gets married, one must be responsible and take one's family as his first priority. You know, some people stay late at the office even though they don't have much work to do. They call their wife and say that they have work to do. I tell them to do the work in time and go home early, to watch watch movies and read books with their wives. I try not to make phone calls to them after 8-9pm.

Q : You've kept your long hair for quite a while and you recently cut it short. Was there any reason? I've also heard that you wanted to make a brush with your hair. 

A : Yes, I felt really sorry to cut my hair. Of course it is easier to wash and dry, and it is good to save water and shampoo. I liked the feeling when my hair was tied up. However, many people wanted me to cut my hair. As you know, I have to think of others. So I had my hair cut. I think people prefer my new hair style. (laugh) Oh, brushes used in lacquer painting are made of human hair. I wanted to make brushes with my hair and share them with my teacher, but I was so sick when I cut my hair that I forgot about it. There will be another chance, as my hair will grow again.

Q : Is there any meaning with the ring that you are wearing all the time? 

A : Isn't it nice? I've worn it for quite a long time, and eventually it became a part of me. When I once left this ring at home I felt unwell that day. (laugh) Now I feel something is missing if I don't wear this ring.

Q : Do you think much about your style? 

A : I just wear as I am told to. Of course I sometimes tell my opinion to my stylists, but they just don't care what I say. (laugh) They were stricter in the past. When I go abroad without them, my stylist displayed the clothes as she wanted, took pictures of them with a polaroid camera, and put the photos in my bag. She told me to wear exactly the same way. Frankly speaking, I don't like to be bothered with things I wear. I even feel embarrassed when someone buys me separate items such as one suit, or one trousers. I like them to be hung on my closet as a match so that I can wear them right away. (laugh)



Q : Tell us about what you are planning, and give some words to your fans. 

A : I've opened up many part of my thoughts and the way I've changed throughout my book, but I think the most important thing is to come back as an actor.  My Family would want it, and I feel I can express the change within myself through my act. I am eager to read many scenarios. It might help me stop thinking about other things. (laugh)

Photo credits as labeled, naver, Dear Yong Joon.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular Posts